Ensuring that Hopelink families working to get back on their feet have access to fresh, high-quality food will be easier and more efficient thanks to a new truck, donated by The Davis Fund, that will help to connect Hopelink’s five food banks in north and east King County.
The new commercial delivery truck will be used to connect donations to food banks and clients to food for more efficient and effective distribution, and also will enable the agency to create new partnerships with other local food banks. Hopelink food banks are located in Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland, Sno-Valley (Carnation) and Shoreline.
Last year, nearly 16,000 people received more than 3 million pounds of food through Hopelink to improve their health and financial and food security. About 80 percent of the food offered through the agency’s food banks is donated by local stores and collected through community food drives and individual donations, with the other 20 percent purchased in bulk.
Foundation Manager Andrew Davis noted that the new truck will help Hopelink create a long-term supply solution for Seattle area food banks while helping provide for the most basic human need.
“Fresh, healthy food is essential to families who are navigating the path to self-sufficiency,” Davis said. “This new truck will help ensure they are able to focus on getting back on their feet as quickly as possible without having to worry about putting food on the table.”
The Davis Fund is a family foundation that works closely with organizations focused on self-sufficiency to make a difference in Western Washington. Since its launch in 2012, The Davis Fund has distributed more than $140,000 in grants to Seattle-area programs.
Andrew Davis is the publisher of Seattle Travel (http://seattletravel.com) and San Francisco Travel (http://www.sftravel.com). The Davis Fund (DavisFund.org) is a family foundation devoted to improving the health and lives of families throughout the greater Seattle area.
Since 1971, Hopelink has served homeless and low-income families, children, seniors and people with disabilities in north and east King County by promoting self-sufficiency for all members of our community and helping people make lasting change. Hopelink meets the need for food, shelter, family development and stabilization, transportation and adult literacy skills. For more information on Hopelink and its services, call 425.869.6000.