A number of local businesses are saluting veterans, military service men and women, and their families this Veterans Day by offering local discounts, specials and promotions. Here's a guide to specials locally and elsewhere.
Sunday is Veterans Day, but it is observed on Monday by most government agencies.
Two important notes:
- Most companies require some form of military ID. These include: a Military ID Card (active/reserve/retired), Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), Drivers License with Veterans Designation, a photograph in uniform, you in uniform (if your service permits), Veterans Organization Card (e.g., American Legion and VFW), DD214, discharge paperwork, or other form of identification. Other restaurants and companies may go by the honor system.
- Always call ahead to verify locations, times, and participation. Many of the listed companies are franchises and may have different policies. We will do our best to keep this page updated as we find new info.
Food and drink:
- Red Robin—free Red's Tavern Double and bottomless fries, Monday, Nov. 12: Offer valid for all guests with military ID or proof of service. The burger chain also plans to donate $10,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project in honor of Veterans Day.
- Claim Jumper—15 percent off, Sunday, Nov. 11, and Monday, Nov. 12: The restaurant is offering 15 percent off food purchases for parties of up to four people when a valid military ID or DD214 form is presented. Offer valid on both Sunday and Monday.
- 7-Eleven—free Slurpee, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Offer good to all current and former military members. ID or proof of service required.
- Applebee’s—free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11: Applebee’s is offering a free meal to military veterans and active-duty service members on Sunday, Nov. 11. There will be seven entrées to choose from, beverage and gratuity not included. Military ID or proof of service required.
- Denny’s—free pancakes, Monday, Nov. 12 2012: Free all-you-can-eat pancakes from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12 for all active, retirees, and veterans with a valid military ID or proof of military service. Offer available in every Denny’s nationwide.
- Outback Steakhouse—free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes until Nov. 11, 2012: Outback Steakhouse is honoring America’s military veterans by offering active duty military and veterans a free Bloomin’ Onion and a Coca-Cola product during the week leading up to Veterans Day. Valid for military personnel with ID.
- The Olive Garden—free entrée, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Offer good for veterans and active duty military, on Sunday, Nov. 11, during regular business hours. Chose from a special menu; all entrées inlcude garlic sticks and choice of soup or salad. Proof of service required.
- Brown Bear Car Wash offers free “Bear Essential” tunnel washes to current or former members of the military on Veterans Day, Nov. 11.
- Home Depot Military Discount: The Home Depot is offering all active duty personnel, reservists, retired military, veterans and their families a 10 percent discount off their purchases in honor of Veterans Day. The offer is valid on purchases of up to $2,000 for a maximum of $200 and is available at The Home Depot stores, The Home Depot Design Center locations, Yardbirds and EXPO Design Center locations. The 10 percent military discount is available everyday for active duty and retirees, but not all veterans. Home Depot makes this offer available to all veterans on most military holidays.
- Lowe’s Military Discount: Lowe’s Companies, Inc. will offer all active, reserve, honorably discharged, retired military personnel and their immediate family members a 10 percent discount on in-store U.S. purchases made during the Veterans Day holiday. The discount is available Nov. 7 – Nov. 11. The discount is available on in-stock and special order purchases up to $5,000. To qualify, individuals must present a valid military ID or other proof of service. Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com, previous sales, and purchases of services or gift cards. Like Home Depot, Lowes offers this discount daily to active duty military members, but not to veterans. However, they extend the offer to military veterans on military holidays. You can also find exclusive discounts at Lowe’s.com.
- Old Navy: Every Monday, including Nov. 12, active and veteran military personnel with ID cards are granted 10 percent off their purchases.
- Amazon.com—free MP3 album download “Veterans Day Honor”: Available at Amazon on Veterans Day. Download the album (album will be full price again starting Nov. 12).
- Sports Authority—15 percent off all purchases: All Veterans and Military personnel receive 15 percent off their entire purchase on Nov. 11. Military ID or proof of service requried.
- All national parks, forests and monuments offer free addmission to all on Veterans Day. Go and enjoy the scenery!
Editor's Note: Much of the information here came from a post on http://themilitarywallet.com.
Are there any deals we missed? Tell us in the comments section.