Maximizing your beauty potential out of a new ‘do can be as simple and stress-free as knowing (and honoring) your face shape. And who else sets a better beauty example than our favorite celebrities? Find your perfect cut (and celebrity match) below to put your best face forward this summer!
- Round: Round-faced girls should avoid cuts that add any width across the cheekbones. Your best bet? Layered, angular and asymmetrical looks with piecey bangs. Bobs are a great option too—as long as they are longer than chin length and subtly layered. Think lots of volume on top, not so much on the bottom. Steer clear of overly poufy styles and crazy curls that widen the face. Your celebrity match: Emma Stone, Fergie.
- Oval: These girls have it made when it comes choosing hair and sunglasses. Why? Oval-shaped gals have evenly proportioned features. From lengthy locks, to adorable pixies, your hairstyle is and should be your playground! If your face is oval, but on the longer side, consider cutting blunt bangs to help “shorten” the face. Your celebrity face match: Jessica Alba, Emma Watson.
- Oblong - This shape can rock any style that adds width to the cheeks. Stay away from overly long locks, unless heavily layered. This adds volume that works to shorten the face’s overall appearance. Take advantage of side parts with lots of movement and texture. Avoid short styles—chin length bobs and shorter. Work in layered, romantic waves for your most flattering look. Your celebrity face match: Angelina Jolie, Gwenyth Paltrow.
- Heart: The trick to balancing a heart shaped face is to draw the eye down and away from the width near the eyes. Nobody works short styles and chin length bobs the way you do! Gentle layering and wispy bangs complement your shape, while keeping the chin from looking pointy. Say no to super sleek looks and slicked back pony tails, which add volume to the upper part of the face. You have fabulous cheek bones so show them off! Don’t bury them underneath too much volume at the crown! Your celebrity face match: Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Love Hewitt.
- Square: Squared-off ladies can be the curly girls that the rest of us straight-haired sisters covet! Bouncy, voluminous curls and waves are to die for on this face shape, since they balance out very straight features. Forget about angular or blunt cuts- including heavy, straight-across bangs. Your celebrity match: Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Anniston.
The next blog post will include tips on deciding what shape your face is! Don't settle for less than a perfect haircut. If you aren't happy with your haircut, perhaps your hairstylist doesn't understand your face shape. Finding a knowledgable hair artist can make all the difference!