Late-summer construction and improvements on three local highways – State Route 520, Interstate 5, and State Route 99 – will require several roadway closures and driver patience during the weekends of Sept. 6-7 and Sept. 13-16, the WSDOT says.
The 520 bridge will be closed in the westbound direction between 92nd Avenue NE and Montlake Blvd. from Friday, Sept. 6 at 11 p.m. until 5p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7. The following weekend, the bridge will close in both directions between Interstate 405 and Montlake Blvd. from 11 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 15.
Following is a press release from the Washington State Department of Transportation and Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT):
“Coordinating the closures for this busy summer construction season was like piecing together a jigsaw puzzle,” said WSDOT traffic engineer Mark Bandy. “We really appreciate drivers’ continued patience with us as we put the last couple of pieces down and wrap things up in time for winter.”
Sept. 6-7 weekend closures
Sports fans headed to Mariners and Sounders games on Sept. 6 and 7 should plan ahead for the following closures:
- Friday, Sept. 6 to Saturday, Sept. 7 – All lanes of westbound SR 520 will close from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Saturday between 92nd Avenue Northeast and Montlake Boulevard to allow crews to pour concrete for new West Connection Bridge columns.
- Friday, Sept. 6 to Saturday Sept. 7 - SDOT will close northbound SR 99 and Mercer Street between Fifth Avenue North and Dexter Avenue North from 11 p.m. Friday until 2 p.m. Saturday for work associated with the west phase of the Mercer Corridor Project.
Sept. 13-16 weekend closures
Sports fans and festival goers heading to the St. Demetrios Greek Festival Sept. 13-15, the Sounders FC match on Sept. 13, or the Seahawks game on Sept. 15 should plan ahead for these closures:
- Friday, Sept. 13 to Sunday, Sept. 15 – All lanes of SR 520 from I-405 to Montlake Boulevard will be closed from 11 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 15. Crews will continue their work to pour concrete columns for the new West Connection Bridge while crews on the Eastside Transit and HOV Project will use the closure to implement a major traffic shift in the westbound lanes near Bellevue Way.
- Friday, Sept. 13 to Monday, Sept. 16– The left two northbound lanes of I-5 between Olive Way and Lakeview Boulevard will be closed from 9 p.m. Friday Sept. 13 to 5 a.m. Monday, Sept. 16 to accommodate WSDOT contractor crews who will replace worn and aging expansion joints. The left two lanes of I-5 also will be closed in a small section of the freeway near Mercer Street from Friday, Sept. 13 to Monday, Sept. 16 as workers replace expansion joints.
Tools for drivers
Drivers can do their part, and have a number of options to make their trips easier.
- Seattle area traffic website with updated travel information, real-time traffic maps and travel times:www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle
- Traffic cameras: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/seattle
- Travel alerts: www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/trafficalerts
- Mobile apps for cell phones and other wireless devices: www.wsdot.com/Inform/mobile.htm
- 5-1-1 for traffic updates. Tune to highway advisory radio and watch electronic highway signs for information.